Old February 10th 16, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Why do drivers get away with attempted murder?

QUOTE:
" Another week, another video that shows a driver intentionally targeting a cyclist and turning a moving car into a potentially deadly weapon.

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

Now, before you say I'm being ridiculous, let me ask: what do you think would be an appropriate charge if I intentionally hit an unprotected person with any other two tonne piece of machinery? If I, say, swung a wrecking ball at a bloke on a building site and struck him because he was in the way and was p***ing me off?

I'm sure the driver would say he only meant to scare the cyclist, who survived with serious injuries. But that argument hardly holds water. Cars are very good at hurting people.

Over 200,000 people were injured on UK roads in the 12 months to September 2014 and 1,800 were killed. Nearly all these deaths and injuries involved a motor vehicle. So, given all this, shouldn't we be viewing this incident like we might view firing a gun at someone and hitting them in the shoulder?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/