Old October 8th 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

Default John Forester Speaks

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 10:46:13 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Second, I saw no evidence that 10% or even 1% of the motorists were
aggressive or inattentive. The biggest irritation I had with a motorist
was the one excessively careful one who refused to pass me for about
four blocks despite the lack of oncoming traffic.

This is my experience as well. It's a few times a week that someone is afraid to pass, most of the time when I'm riding to the right of the white line.. Annoying as hell. The last time I had any motorist anger directed at me was on a group ride a few months ago, but that wasn't a commute. We took the lane before a left hand turn, and a car (which was well behind us when we took the lane) came up behind us, blowing their horn and shouting obscenities. What made it really sad was that we weren't taking up any more space than a car making the same turn. The last time before that was during a commute to work maybe ten years ago. Bear in mind traffic is pretty heinous in the Boston area. My 20 mile commute by car is 35 minutes on a good day, but typically 45 minutes. My commute by bike (same roads) is 60 minutes.

http://inrix.com/blog/2019/02/scorecard-2018/