Old October 8th 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default John Forester Speaks

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:01:39 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 10/8/2019 7:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Just a heads-up, don't put the sheltered facility and a bus or shuttle stop together. My favorite unnecessary hazard going to work is the sheltered bike lane where the bus whips around me to the left, I go into the facility to the right, the bus stops, and passengers launch into the bike lane in front of me -- crossing the bike lane without looking to get to the bus. At the stops where the bus pulls to the curb, I at least have a chance of getting around it. I frequently wonder what designers are thinking.

Well in my area there are lot more cyclists than bus riders, which I'm
sure is different than in Portland.

I know that this issue has been discussed. Is it better for the bus stop
to be by the curb and buses cross the bike lane, or is it better for the
protected bike lane to be next to the curb and have bus passengers cross
the bike lane?

Having pedestrians cross the bike lane is a problem. Another example: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2774/4...9c178bc1f1.jpg The PSU cycle track is a scrum of unconscious students stepping off the curb into the bike lane, staring down at phones or walking to the bus -- and people walking over to get in their cars, which create the barrier. I much preferred the curb parking and door-zone-ish bike lane. You could get out of harm's way. The current facility is a dangerous chute. South waterfront is a two-way mess because of idiots on bikes intermixed with pedestrians. I preferred when it was a pot-holed old road through an abandoned shipyard, but alas, we needed to put more people in hives. https://odis.homeaway.com/odis/listi...607a8c.f10.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.