Old September 20th 19, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default cycling in Chicago

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 12:52:02 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 7:42:06 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 11:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

What about Eugene? https://www.eugene-or.gov/979/Property-Crimes Is there some Alt right urban myth circulating that hasn't come to my attention? Eugene is a hell hole. https://www.lohrrealestate.com/wp-co...tte-eugene.png

Honestly, though, the federal court house is a ridiculous, bloated shrine to Wayne Morse. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ner_cro p.JPG You stand in the court rooms and think ch-ching! Your tax dollars at work! https://i.pinimg.com/originals/16/ae...5452c29f62.jpg

Modern architecture makes me sad.

A couple years ago, my wife and I visited the 1900-era county
courthouse, in part because its 8' tall majestic statues (representing
law, justice and strength IIRC) had been restored and were on display
before being lifted back to the rooftop.

The interior was as beautiful as I remembered, with lots of elegant
marble, murals and paintings of historic scenes, stained glass windows,
etc. Just gorgeous.

As we walked the few blocks back to our parking place, we passed the new
(circa 2000?) federal courthouse. We decided to stop in for comparison.
But there was no comparison. Its internal style matched its external
style; it was about as beautiful as a refrigerator, inside and out.
There was absolutely nothing to see.

We did, however, enjoy a long and pleasant conversation with a worker
there who was very interested in our bike tours and my utility riding.

Some of the most picturesque old court houses are miserable for argument or trial. There is one outlet for the whole courtroom (and cords taped down all over the place), and the acoustics can be terrible. But they are picturesque. Some of the grandeur is also spoiled by all the security retrofits at the entry points. The modern court rooms are more suited to their purpose but some can be about as grand as an office cubicle.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, I would suggest you ask Frank why the acoustics of older buildings are different from newer ones but I'm sure that he couldn't tell you. And your education was somewhat remiss. Most people are aware that acoustics was a science developed in Phoenicia circa 2000 BC. But I'm sure that you think that the designers of your old court house were uneducated in the art of unamplified sound. Ask people about the Sistine Chapel in Roam.