Old May 7th 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Prejudice not justified?

I thought that Ride+Walk Warsaw+WL was founded or inspired by the
League Against Bicycling, but perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps it has
been infiltrated by a cyclist. The following appeared on their
Facebook page:

Although legal to do in Warsaw - except in the downtown business
district, riding your bike on the side walk is not recommended for the
following reasons: 1) Other road users are not expecting cyclists on
sidewalks, especially motorists crossing intersections and pulling out
of driveways and alleys. 2) Pedestrians are unpredictable and may not
be expecting you. 3) Uneven surfaces and blind corners can create
dangerous situations.

Consider this,if riding on one sidewalk in a typical neighborhood
block there may be 10 driveways which are essentially intersections to
be aware of--- but if you are on the street there is more visibility
and room to see a vehicle backing out onto the street.

If you do decide to ride on the sidewalk follow these recommendations:
1) Ride very slowly-- at a walking pace. 2) By law, you must follow
all the road rules that apply to the parallel road, including one-way
riding, stop signs etc. etc. 3) Yield to all pedestrians
Ride on Warsaw & Winona!

Being also a denizen of alt.usage.english, I itch to put in the
missing dash, reformat the list, and so forth. I did allow my spell
checker to correct a typo.

To explain "Warsaw+WL", the city of Warsaw was built on the narrow
strip of land between Center Lake and Pike Lake to the north and Eagle
Lake to the south. A farmer (see "Beyer Farm Trail") bought land west
of Eagle Lake so that he could cool his milk in the many springs that
used to be here. In due course, a theme-park precursor called "Spring
Fountain Park" appeared on his land, and people from Chicago came here
to get away from the heat until well into the 1950s. When a hotel was
built to accommodate them (it still stands, but is now condominiums),
it was called the Winona Hotel, Eagle Lake was re-named to match, and
the cluster of summer cottages and boarding houses was also called
Winona Lake. Winona Lake grew north until it hit Warsaw's South
Street, now called Winona Avenue. Southern growth jumped the Chicago
Boys Club Camp and continued clockwise around the lake until it met
Warsaw growing counterclockwise.

For many purposes, the two towns are treated as one.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/