Old August 15th 17, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Driver killed by brick weapon.

On 15/08/2017 10:05, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/08/17 23:21, JNugent wrote:
On 14/08/2017 20:53, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/08/17 13:49, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2017 21:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/17 16:48, JNugent wrote:

QUOTE:
“If I was going any faster I could’ve been killed.

“I usually do go quite fast because it’s a straight run and you
can pick up a lot of speed."
ENDQUOTE

That can mean anything. For some, 15mph can feel like a "lot of
speed". Given that proms tend to be fairly level and it's a £100
bike with knobbly tyres, it's more than likely. But I am sure you
would disagree.

She might or might not have been intently concentrating on the
ground below the front wheel. Only she knows which.

Perhaps the rope might not have caught her under the chin had she
had her head down (as per your uninformed idea of riding positions).

Besides, any road user (including drivers, even you) is accustomed
to look for things connected to the road and disturbing the
background, not for something static floating above it. The visual
system works mostly about matching things to past experience so
would take several seconds to work out something so unfamiliar.

But she failed to see the rope. This was a life-belt rope, by the
way. Not a wire and not a thin cord. It must be the best part of
an inch thick.

A life belt rope an inch thick? Wow, folk are tough in those parts.

The Mersey is an estuarial river a mile wide at that location. The
currents are phenomenal. Parcel twine won't do.

It is possible to manufacture more than capable rope with diameter
somewhere between those two sizes.

You've never actually been to that locality, have you?

You have never seen one of the (many) lifebelt points ranged along
that riverfront, or the ropes attached to them?

Not necessary.

No?

You can measure the diameter of a rope you've never seen and will never
see by philosophy or divination, can you?

I can look up tables for safe working loads for rope.

And what would that prove?

Try having a bit of humility sometimes rather than digging deeper.

Irony!

A few weeks ago someone posted a link about a Range Rover driver
failing to see something considerably bigger and which should have
correlated to something seen before. The back of a bus.

And?

You're inability to see a connection shows less brain function than
someone that doesn't see a rope strung across a path.

What difference would it have made if the Range Rover driver had been
blind in one eye, half-blind in the other and three sheets to the wind
after downing half a bottle of Scotch?

What would it have to do with the woman on Egremont Prom?

Directly, nothing. It has everything to do with your attitude.

I hope you don't "think" that I endorse careless, reckless or drunken
driving.

Please be explicit.

I have. Here it is again:

"Your inability to see a connection shows less brain function than
someone that doesn't see a rope strung across a path."

Childish.

You just cannot bring yourself to admit the obvious: there is simply no
connection between what that Range Rover's driver and what the injured
cyclist (or the idiot who stretched a vandalised lifebelt rope across
the prom) did.