Old October 12th 17, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 06:51:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Let me put it this way - they are putting a ballot measure on to
allow the bridge districts to raise all state owned bridge tolls
by $3. Do you think that is going to pass?

Nope. That's maintenance, not CAPEX on a new project. If the ballot
measure was to add a surtax to the bridge toll, to pay for something
specific, like a wider or better bicycle lane on all California
bridges, I think it would pass. Of course, once the state has it's
claws on the increased revenue, it's unlikely the stated bike lanes
will be built, but rather the money used for other purposes, such as
legal defense.

I call to your attention the proposed California high speed rail
system:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/14/the-dream-of-high-speed-rail-in-california-is-taking-longer-and-costing-more/
10 years ago, California voters approved $40 billion in bonds for the
"Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act for the 21st
Century". No track has actually been laid yet, but quite a bit has
been spent in various court battles, research, plans, and right of way
condemnation. Estimated cost is now up to $64 billion and climbing.
It's remotely possible that the state will run out of the bond money
before the first passenger pays $86 for a ticket. In short, the
voters knew that it was a financial boondoggle from the start, yet
voted for it anyway.

California is done with the promises of politicians. Most people
do not believe that they will EVER be able to own a new
self-driving car and they are not going to pay for others to
enjoy specialized highways.

The few people with whom I've discussed the driverless car issue
mostly agree with you. As I mentioned previously, they would never
consider buying a driverless car for themselves. However, they have
no problem forcing their spouses and children to use one so that they
will be safe from the carnage on the roads.

As for not being affordable, I believe that was the problem with the
all electric automobile. You and I could not afford a Tesla, but we
might be able to justify one of the cheaper all electric imports.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558