Old July 23rd 03, 01:08 PM
Pete Hickey

Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

In article gers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:
I've got a couple of days time off, and I'm taking
my road bike to Ottawa Ontario for a few under 100km
rides. Where's the best places to go? I heard the
Gatineau Hills on the Hull side of the river are a
great place to go, but that word "hills" worries me
a little. I'm not the world's best climber... Is
there some kind of bike path that runs along the Ottawa
river? Thanks for any help.

What kind of riding do you want? Road or mountain? I'm guessing
road. You can take a nice loop around Gatineau Park (looking out
my window at it now, a few hundred yards away). The loop is around
50km, and it is hilly. the 50km loop tires me almost as
much as a 100km ride on flats. It does offer a nice view
of the valley from several points (Champlain, Huron and
Étienne Brűlé).

Want flat stuff? East through the farmland on relatively
empty country roads. can be relaxing and enjoyable. Like
Cheese curds? I regularly do a 100km ride just to get cheese
curds in Sarsfield.. If ou start in Ottawa, it'll be closer
to 80, depending on where you start.

I don't like going west as much because it is more
populated/traffic. I comute daily in traffic, and when
going for a relaxing ride, I prefer quiet. Traffic in the
park isn't bad.

Where will you be staying? What do you prefer? I can offer
some suggestions and directions.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 88% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?