Old July 23rd 03, 07:11 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Need advice re. buying bike

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:00:41 GMT, Andrew Short
wrote:

A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says
the
derailleur needs adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that
and
a general tune-up, he says the bike is in good shape. Cosmetically at
least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.

Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

IIRC, a 1500 is a low-end model [I think I was looking at them for $600 US
last year). At 10-15 years old, it should not be $250; in perfect
condition, maybe $150, but needing tires, adjusting, and general tune-up,
probably $75 or less.

Consider rescuing a road bike on garbage day, if you see one...I'm happy
with the results I got (my rescued Peugeot is more comfortable then my very
expensive new purchased road bike)

This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the
post is appropriate.

Thanks.

Andrew Short
Dallas, TX