Old July 23rd 03, 07:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Durability vs Efficiency

On 22 Jul 2003 08:11:58 -0700, (salmoneous) wrote:

If we look at the continuum of bikes - from mountain to true road
bike, we trade comfort for efficiency as the bikes become more
road-like. I'm certainly willing to give up some comfort to shorten my
commute time.
What I'm not willing to give us is durability.

What you describe is an Audax bike. 700c wheels, reasonably slim
tyres (put bigger ones on in winter if you like), clearance for
mudguards, frame angles which are sporty but not punishingly upright,
enough stiffness to mount a rack for carrying stuff, and braze-ons for
lights and dynamo.

Audax bikes are built to last. Good ones are also light and
surprisingly nimble.

Or you could go the whole hog and buy a recumbent ;-)

Here's an audax bike from a firm that knows what they are doing:
http://www.sjscycles.com/thorn/700so...daxclassic.htm

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]