Old July 24th 03, 12:06 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Durability vs Efficiency

A tourer might work for you--

I picked up a Jamis Aurora on sale for US$450; 700Cx32 tires, fender
clearance, rack mounting points, all around comfortable position
(dropped bars; I ride on the hoods 95% of the time) okay gearing.

I'm only now learning the intricacies of hopping and wheelie-ing a
bike with dropped bars, so I'll get back to the ng after a while when
I learn how to crawl over stuff.

As to speed and comfort--the aurora is the fastest I've ridden a bike.
It's also my most comfortable bike. the comfortable bike will be
faster than an uncomfortable bike, just because you can stay in the
saddle longer and put more power in.

Other option is to convert your MTB. Advantage: this can be a phased
project, so you get used to one modification at a time. Disadvantage:
parts singly are more expensive than a whole new bike.

Phase I [Minor alterations]: High-pressure, slick tires. Rack.
Fenders. Bar-ends. Toeclips/straps

Phase II [Major alterations]: Conversion to dropped
handlebars--entails new handlebars, levers, shifters, cables, housing,
stem (?). Rigid fork (if applicable) Clipless pedals.

If your frame sits you very upright as you pedal, then the dropped-bar
conversion option might not be too great. If, on the other hand, your
frame stretches you out more--your back is flatter, more weight on
your hands--then the dropped-bar conversion might be a great idea.

-Luigi