Old July 24th 03, 01:22 AM
Ken

Default New tire with hole

(GABIKE) wrote in
:
I just installed new Hutchison carbon comps on my bike. They only had
200 miles on them when yesterday a small rock penetrated one of them and
i flatted. I now have a brand new $45 tire with a small hole right in
the middle. What could have caused this besides bad luck and is there
anything that can be done to it to make is safely servicable?

You know what happened, a rock poked a hole in your tire. Nothing you can do
about that, other than watch out for rocks.

How big is the hole? Are the cords of the tire damaged, or only the rubber?
If there is only a small slice in the rubber and the cords are intact, the
tire is still OK to use. You might put a small bit of glue on the cut to
seal it.

If the cords are cut, however, using the tire is risky. Some people will try
patching the inside of the tire. Others will not want to risk the cords
failing.