Old July 10th 03, 04:34 AM
Patrick O'Grady

Default Cyclocross checklist

In article , Drew Cutter
wrote:

Thanks . The local bike shop recommended a new bike instead . He
suggested redline . This is strictly a winter only bike and one I can
bang around with out worrying about the repair bill. Thought about using
my carnac mt. bike shoes . Colorado cyclist doesn't seem to have to much
in the way of cyclocross . The shop carries lemond , cannondale , trek
bikes. Any suggestion on a good cyclocross mail order company ?

Hi, Drew,

Redline makes a fine blue-collar 'cross bike. Surly is another inexpensive
option, albeit a little heavy according to some of the folks I've spoken
with (haven't ridden one myself). There are lots of companies doing
decent, reasonably-priced aluminum 'cross bikes out there these days ...
I'd suggest shopping around and riding a few. It's a whole lot easier than
tweaking an old road frame. Swaps and shop bulletin boards are another
useful source of cheapo 'cross/winter bikes.

As to mail order, Excel Sports carries a bunch of 'cross stuff, as does
Schwab Cycles, cyclocrossworld.com and durance.com.

Regards,

Patrick O'Grady
Mad Dog Media