Old November 7th 03, 12:48 AM
Richard Adams

Default Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas

Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Eric Vey wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/tt2f

November 2, 2003

ST. PETERSBURG -- A judge has permanently revoked the drivers license of
a retired salesman who plowed into a group of bicyclists, sending 14 to
the hospital.

Joseph Pastore, 61, pleaded no contest to careless driving after driving
his Lincoln Continental into members of two bicycle clubs on a two-lane
road in July. He will pay the maximum $500 fine through community
service.

Pastore wasn't required to be in court and did not attend the hearing
Friday. His attorney handed over his license.

About 45 cyclists and their friends broke into applause at the outcome.

"It was as good as it can get, according to the rules of the court,"
said David Arnold, who uses a wheelchair because of severe leg injuries
suffered in the collision. "My way of life is totally wrecked."

Pastore told police he swerved after water sprayed through his window
into his eyes. Police think he passed out behind the wheel because he
had taken a combination of medications.

"He should have been charged as a criminal for hurting so many people,"
said Maria Riquet, who suffered broken vertebrae and ribs. "But I'm
happy he lost his drivers license."