Old July 27th 03, 08:57 AM
smokey

Default Lower back pains

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message ...
I am getting lower back pains on my road bike when I ride for more than 1
hour. I have raised the stem to about 2 centimeters below my saddle, but I
still get back pains. The guy at the bike shop recommended I do situps, but
they have not helped. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Jiyang

i have been riding for years with lower back pain, caused by a severe
case of degenerative disc disease. though my no. 1 reason for riding
is for enjoyment, it is also the only form of aerobic exercise i can
still do. the extra blood flow it stimulates really helps alleviate
pain. i feel better after my morning ride than at any other time
during the day. here is what helps me; 1. work on your flexibility. i
stop halfway through each ride and do hamstring stretches, slow toe
touches, quad, and calf stretches. at home, i do these, plus some
yoga. one yoga position that has really helped me is the lying spinal
twist. while flat on your back, extend your arms out to the side and
hold your legs up with knees at a 90 degree angle with feet on the
floor. slowly allow your legs to fall to one side as you exhale,
inhale while bringing them up, then go the opposite way. 2. how long
is your stem? even though it may not be too low, it still may be
stretching you out too much. 3.until you improve your flexibility, you
may have to raise it a bit more until it is even with the top of the
saddle. 4. your abs also need exercise, but sit-ups are one of the
worst choices because they can aggravate lower back pain. do crunches
instead, rolling your upper body toward your hips while keeping the
small of your back flat on the floor. 5. scale your riding back until
you find some relief. an hour is plenty to stay in shape, even a
half-hour is way better than no exercise at all. not exercising and
becoming sedentary is the worst thing possible for back pain. hope
some of this helps, back trouble really sucks. i still have a lot of
pain, that's why i'm up writing this at 3 in the morning. can't wait
to get back on my bike in the morning for some relief!
smokey