Old July 28th 03, 08:23 PM
archer

Default Bike maintenance question

In article ,
says...
Hi folks... I know next to nothing about bicycle maintenance, so this
should be a very basic question... what is wrong with my bike if it is
really difficult to shift speeds and when I try to it keeps making
that awful buzzing/clacking sound? I am a pretty quick learner... how
can I fix this myself without having to go to (and thus pay) a
mechanic?

What do you mean by "difficult to shift"? Is the handle very stiff and
unwilling to move in either direction? If that's the case, it sounds
like either your cables are rusted and sticking. You might try WD40 or
oil, but a better solution would probably be to replace the inner cables.
They would only be a few dollars from your local bike shop (LBS).

The buzzing/clacking noise is just your chain not meshin properly with
the teeth on the cogs, due to the derailleur not being in line with the
cogs. Fix the cable stiffness and you should be able to move the
shifters slightly in one direction or the other in order to get the
chain properly aligned, and then your drive train will be nice and quiet.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good