Old August 2nd 03, 10:48 AM
TonyMelton

Default Stand up unicycles

I have a handlebar unicycle. Actually its just a set of swept-back
handlebars (shaped like a flattened W) and a stem of 22.2mm diameter
which I insert into my 20" freestyle frame. The frame has a long seat
tube so the handlebars are at the right height. If you had the
handlebars any lower than regular seat height you'd hit your thighs on
the bars as you pedal. [If I had a digital camera, I'd post a pic of
it!]

Mikefule wrote:
*

My guess is that it's similar to riding seat out in front. It should
be easier with the handlebars in that the handlebars are designed to
be held, whereas the seat isn't.

From a safety point of view, as most high speed UPDs are forwards, I'd
have thought the handlebars would be a risky proposition.*

Actually riding the handlebar unicycle is harder than seat out in front,
as where you hold the bars is not directly above the wheel. Hence the
forces involved are different. For this reason I find it a lot easier to
ride the H-bar uni with one hand holding at the stem/handlebar
connection. This is more like regular seat out in front riding. Also
when both hands are on the bars, you've got no arms to flail with- this
can make changing direction a lot harder. You have to lean like on a
bike.

Despite these handicaps I can hop up and down stairs, ride freehand, do
the leg around mount, ride handlebars in front and behind in both
directions and my trademark 'sit on wheel' trick. I haven't tried seat
drag but I think it would be easier (more handlebar points of contact
with the ground). I'd really like to wheel walk sitting on the
handlebars, but just can't sit on the bars without them slipping out
from under me.

Mike - handlebar unicycles are so exhausting to ride and so impractical
that you're very unlikely to have a high speed UPD. In any case, as long
as you let go of the bars they should hit the ground before you do!

Enjoy!
Tony

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

New videos in 'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10)
added on 22nd July.

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118