Old August 4th 03, 03:55 AM
Boyd Speerschneider

Default Fitting short legs

Mark Hickey wrote in
:

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

I am also a rider with a longer torso and shorter legs. I'm 5'8.75" and
have a 31.25" inseam. Like another poster mentioned, go to
www.wrenchscience.com and use their fit calculator. I did this and found
that I needed a bike with a 52cm frame (seat tube center-to-center) and
a 65 cm reach. This was tricky to pull of without a) using a crazy long
stem or b) getting a custom-made frame.

It doesn't seem all that unusual to me, nor do your dimensions. Most
bikes in the 52cm c-c range will have top tubes between 54 and 55cm,
requiring a 10-11cm stem to get the reach you need - nothing unusual
or non-optimal about that.

However, shopping around I found that the Fuji team bike has a nice
geometry for people shaped like me. Their 56cm fram is actually 52cm
center to center with a 56 cm top tube. So I got the appropriate stem
(which actually wasn't that long) and I was set.

I assume it's a compact frame, and that the "frame size" is kind of an
equivalency thing...

ps. Lose your stem spacers, slam that bad boy all the way down, level
your drops with the ground, and learn how to ride with your back flat.
Stretching helps with the flexablity required.

That would be nice - but only if it's possible. For a lot of people,
it isn't. Also, if you're riding a compact "56", "slamming that stem
all the way down" leaves it a LOT higher than if you were riding a
conventional 52cm c-c frame. You might find out you couldn't take
your own advice...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Nope, not a compact frame. Its a regular frame.. ie., the top tube is level
with the ground. There isn't a whole lot of seatpost showing either; ~4
inches.