Old August 17th 03, 11:40 PM
Mikefule

Default idling and wheel sizes

I know we've had this discussion before about skill levels... but...

The official skill levels no doubt serve a useful purpose in that they
provide a structure for people who want to develop their unicycling in
one particular direction: freestyle. On the whole, the skill levels
give an indication of which skills are easier or harder to learn.

On the other hand, unicycling is such an individual and eccentric sport
that I find it hard to reconcile the individualist mindset of the
typical unicyclist with the apparent need to have some sort of
'official' validation of one's ability.

But that's a philosophical or psychological discussion. The thread
started with queries relating to learning 'basics' like idling.

I like to differentiate between 'skills' and 'tricks'.

To illustrate: freemounting, riding in a straight line, turning a
corner, and stopping under control are 'skills'; doing a kick up mount,
and riding one footed in a circle would be 'tricks'.

As I see it, 'skills' are things which would help any unicyclist,
whether (s)he prefers MUni, cross country, trials, freestyle, touring,
hockey... whatever aspect of unicycling appeals most.

All unicyclists benefit from being able to do the following
confidently:
Freemount
Ride forwards
Turn in each direction
Stop under control and dismount

Once a unicyclist can do these things, it's simply a matter of
improvement. I rode for 15 years with no other skills.

The next stage for a keen unicyclist would be to learn:
to idle (ideally with either foot down)
to reverse for short distances

A unicyclist who can mount, ride, turn, idle, reverse out of a tight
spot, ride on, then stop and dismount is in a position to develop
his/her riding in whatever direction (s)he chooses.

Hopping may be the next 'skill' as many people use this to get over
small obstacles without dismounting. Likewise, most unicyclists would
benefit from being able to ride down small drops (kerbs etc.).

After that, anything else is a 'trick' rather than a 'skill', to my
mind.

I'm not saying this to denigrate the skill levels, or to denigrate
tricks. It's just that a complete beginner (such as mequauni, who
started the thread) might be misled into thinking that it is 'important'
to learn, say, one footed riding, or one footed idling, or 5 sorts of
freemount. It isn't important, it's just fun.. which is important as an
end in itself.

I keep reading rumours of a set of skill levels being developed for
other disciplines. On the one hand, it would be interesting to read the
list; on the other hand, I don't see how it could be quantified or
assessed. I think it would be helpful for beginners to have some idea
of what would be the best order to learn skills. I'm not sure it would
be a good idea to have people dropping off 6 foot walls in the hope of
winning a certificate.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we
fall."
Confucius