Old August 4th 03, 04:23 PM
Hunrobe

Default protecting saddle + post from theft?

(Steve McDonald)

wrote:

I leave my quick-release seat lever flipped in the loose position,
then screw it down tight. Then I take a hammer and make it even
tighter. This also works on quck-release wheel hubs. This way the
bandits see the quick-release and think they've got an easy mark. They
can't get it off without hitting it with something, the same way I put
it on. This would make a lot of noise and commotion, even if their
drug-numbed brains could figure it out and I've never lost a seat or a
wheel.

Steve McDonald

Doesn't this method not only at least cosmetically damage your bike but also
negate the whole purpose of QRs? If it works for you that's cool but I'd rather
not start pounding on my QR levers with a hammer. No offense intended but it
sounds kind of dumb, actually. I've never lost a wheel or a saddle either and
all I do is only lock my bikes where I can keep an eye on them. Failing that, I
simply use the QRs as designed and take the parts with me.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- What do you do when you get a flat and there aren't any hammers or rocks
handy?