Old August 5th 03, 01:23 AM
Don Wiss

Default protecting saddle + post from theft?

On 4 Aug 2003 13:03:05 -0700, (Gary Young) wrote:

Here in NYC, no one trusts the thin cables you're
referring to. The popular thing to do is take a length of chain
(drivetrain chain), cover it with a length of inner tube, run it
through the seatstays and the saddle rails and then close the loop
with a chain tool.

Yes. My understanding is bolt cutters tend to crush the chain and not cut
it. Also electrical tape is often used to close the gap between the inner
tube ends. Not that thieves carry chain tools, but they'd also have to
carry a knife to get to the chain. Anyway, I am not aware of anyone that
has lost a seat chained down this way.

The one seat I lost was when I removed the quick release and used an allen
head bolt. I didn't leave the bike more than 10 minutes. I gather the thief
had vise grips with him to get it off.

Don donwiss at panix.com.