Old August 5th 03, 01:20 AM
Steve McDonald

Default protecting saddle + post from theft?

Steve McDonald wrote:

I leave my quick-release seat lever flipped in the loose position,
then screw it down tight. Then I take a hammer and make it even tighter.
This also works on quick-release wheel hubs. This way the bandits see
the quick-release and think they've got an easy mark. They can't get it
off without hitting it with something, the same way I put it on. This
would make a lot of noise and commotion, even if their drug-numbed
brains could figure it out and I've never lost a seat or a wheel.

Bob Hunt replied:

Doesn't this method not only at least cosmetically damage your bike
but also negate the whole purpose of QRs? If it works for you that's
cool but I'd rather not start pounding on my QR levers with a hammer. No
offense intended but it sounds kind of dumb, actually. I've never lost a
wheel or a saddle either and all I do is only lock my bikes where I can
keep an eye on them. Failing that, I simply use the QRs as designed and
take the parts with me.

P.S.- What do you do when you get a flat and there aren't any hammers or
rocks handy?

I'm very careful how I hit the levers with a small balpine hammer I
carry in my tool kit and don't damage them. I use thorn-resistant tubes
and have had only 1 flat in five years. I've broken no spokes in that
time and only have to loosen the quick-release skewers every year and a
half to mount new tires and to grease and adjust the bearings. I do
video work and eschew the use of
"quick-release" tripod heads for camcorders. This term translates as
"instant-disaster" to me, regarding expensive video gear. No, I don't
hit my cameras with hammers (unless they've really asked for it). I
always choose better security over a little convenience.

Taking the seat with you when locking the bike outdoors is a good
idea and many people do it. I always take off my front and rear lights
and lock them in my hard case behind the seat.

Steve McDonald