Old July 11th 03, 03:03 PM
Mark Traphagen

Default Info on 1986 Trek 620

Knowing my growing frustration with attempting touring with my Trek
mountain bike, my wife just snapped up a 1986 Trek 620 for $200 on
Ebay. It is supposedly mint condition, ridden only 20 miles and hung
in a garage until now. If any of you are familiar with this bike, I'd
appreciate some opinions/info.

First, sizing...I weigh about 160 lbs., and 5'6" tall and buy pants
with a 30 length. The frame specs are 47 c.m. seat tube, 52 c.m. top
tube, and 45.5 c.m. chainstays. Should this fit me OK?

Second, what components, if any, should I look first to upgrade...and
will I be able to find newer components that will fit? If you're
interested, here's the full specs from the auction page:

"This bike is brand new with less than twenty miles on it. Although it
is an older bike(1986) it is Trek at its roots best. Handmade, lugged,
Reynolds 531 tubing...this bike can easily be converted to a top
quality competitive cyclocross bike. Features are Normandy hubs, Deore
crankset, canti brakes, Huret Crane deraileurs and shifters,
Stronglight headset, Blackburn rear rack, Kirtland rear rack top
touring pack, Zefal HP frame pump, Cat Eye computer (verifies low
mileage). The frame specs are 47 c.m. seat tube, 52 c.m. top tube, and
45.5 c.m. chainstays. This is a very nice quality bike that was simply
never ridden, just hung in our garage."

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Mark