Old August 18th 03, 05:45 AM
john_childs

Default idling and wheel sizes

Mikefule wrote:
*
I like to differentiate between 'skills' and 'tricks'.

To illustrate: freemounting, riding in a straight line, turning a
corner, and stopping under control are 'skills'; doing a kick up
mount, and riding one footed in a circle would be 'tricks'.
*

They're all skills. I don't do tricks.

There is no trickery involved in doing any of the unicycle skills.
There is no trickery involved in doing a kick up mount or riding one
footed in a circle.

Calling it a trick makes it seem like there is some sort of trickery
going on. Magicians do tricks. Unicyclists do skills. A magician
doing a trick that involves slight of hand is doing something tricky
even though the manipulation may require great skill. If you know the
"trick" the magicians slight of hand trick or illusion isn't as
impressive. Somehow I don't think we'll ever have a "masked unicyclist"
going on a Fox TV special revealing the tricks behind the unicycling
skills because there are no tricks.

I would also differ with your opinion that learning the "advanced"
skills doesn't improve your overall riding. I firmly believe that
learning freestyle skills like seat in back, seat on side, one footed,
wheel walking, backwards circle, etc. improve your muni skills even
though you'll never do something like seat on side during a muni ride.
Learning how to balance and control the unicycle while it is held in
different positions improves your balance, improves your overall riding,
and improves your muni riding.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com