Old August 8th 03, 08:31 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Bike-shorts benefit without the bike shorts?

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:04:16 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
You will definitely be more comfortable in bike shorts than in regular
shorts, though.

I definately am.

At least until you have to walk through the mall on an errand,

Yup, that's the exception alright. They also have no pockets
for my wallet.

That's what the jersey is for! Good grief! I have to say that until you
own a three-pocket road jersey, you have no idea how much crap you can
stuff in those pockets. I went for a ride recently which incorporated
some errands, but brought only a fanny pack an my jersey for storage. At
the end of the ride, I had wallet, money, spare tube, a few tools, a
rolled-up magazine, and room to spare in my back pockets. It's not even
uncomfortable to carry that sort of load there (no worse than carrying
it anywhere else). I wondered why I had even brought the fanny pack.

The only problem with those jerseys is using a seat with a back. D'oh!
So empty your pockets before you get in your car...

How about those casual / baggy biking shorts? Do they
prevent chafing as well, and do they get snagged on
the saddle easily?

I have a pair, and they work okay, and they look a lot better in the
mall . But while mine don't tend to get caught on the saddle, I prefer
to wear the tight-fit spandex for any serious road work. The baggies
flop around a bit, they catch the wind a bit, and if there's anything in
the pockets, it bugs me.

That said, legions of mountain bikers ride quite happily in lined baggy
shorts, and I've done it myself.

-RjC.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine