Old July 11th 03, 08:57 PM
Buck

Default How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? OR Identifying brake types

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
In the picture

http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...in.com/graphic
s/centerpull.gif
(the second picture I posted)
these look on to be similar construction to V brakes, which is why I
thought they were just a different type of V's. So, that picture is of
"cantis", and the first picture (as on the Peugeot) are "center pulls",

and
my Giant has "side-pulls" (and of course, my MTB has V's).

Summary (correct me if I'm wrong):
Cantis and V's mount one piece to each side of the
wheel and are pulled by the cable inward
Center pulls and side pulls mount to a single bolt centered
above the wheel and both sides pivot on that bolt
Cantis and center-pulls share similar cable-operations
where a cable between the two sides is pulled in
it's center by the brake lever's cable
V's and side-pulls each have their own cable operation/movement.

Looks like you have it straight. You might also like to see Sheldon's primer
on cantilever brakes (as well as v-brakes):
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

-Buck