Old July 11th 03, 10:36 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Signalling - What About Handlebar Height?

I am planning a vacation in Cambridge, UK towards the end of July. Since

this
will take me away from Myrtille and my beloved bike practise, I'm thinking

of
hiring a bike while I'm there, so I can continue practising on the famous

Backs.
(Cambridge as a city is entirely configured to bike traffic and it's a bit

of an
irony that I didn't learn in the 13 years that I lived there!) That will

also be
an opportunity to try other kinds of bikes. The person I'm staying with

has a
Moulton, too, which I'm curious to try.

Cambridge isn't so much as entirely configured to bike traffic as it's a
town where the bicycle dominates the existing facilities to the same degree
as motorized traffic dominates elsewhere....

I always found the Backs to be a bit of an unnerving place to ride,
personally. I wasn't as confident back then, and Queens' Road was the only
place in Cambridge, it seems, that anybody was allowed to develop any real
speed, and so all the cars would gun it through that stretch

I've since gone back, with more miles under me and I've been a lot less
fazed by the whole experience, so maybe i was just more jittery then.

Goodness, we might even see each other in Cambridge--I'll probably be up
reading at the UL for a bit. I'll roll Bekah (my much-maligned pink and
black MBK, the London bike) onto the train at KingsX. How's that for
multimodal transportation strategy...?

-Luigi