Old August 22nd 03, 01:47 AM
harper

Default Shifting on the fly PING Harper

Leo-

I have discussed this before way back when. I have made small diameter
slip clutches (3"-4") and found that it takes a lot of axial force to
keep them from slipping. It also has to engage on two sides so the
transfer mechanism must be bidirectional. The tab never rotates freely,
it is either connected to the hub with a bolt or to the frame with a
bolt. Devices like this are generally real-estate hungry. In theory it's
a good idea except for the "gradual" part. There is no gear ratio
transition, you're in one or the other so rapid disconnect-reconnect
would be essential.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with