Old September 1st 03, 04:26 PM
Ken Fuchs

Default wobble/cranks/coker

Ken Fuchs wrote:

Wheel wobble is caused by rotating masses (or masses in simple
harmonic motion [SHM] in phase with wheel rotation) that are not in
the plane of the wheel. ....

From: wobbling bear

While we are at fundamentals physics, I have a question he
IF the pedals of a uni where not fixed to the axle and transmitting
force thru the cranks but were fixed in a way more like those of an
"impossible wheel" (by a trick yet to be invented ... alongside a bar
that goes from axle to rim for instance -though I don't believe it
would be a good idea- ) what would be the effect on riding?

To be more specific about the cause of wheel wobble, it should be noted
that it is maximized by two out of wheel plane masses that are 180
degrees out of phase with each other with respect to wheel rotation. In
other words the two masses are attached to a normal set of pedals.

If we place the cranks in phase with each other such as on a kangaroo
unicycle where both cranks point the same direction, the (side to side)
wheel wobble is eliminated. What is new in this case, is a lack of
power during one half of the wheel rotation, but there is no wobble!

I'm sure Wobbling Bear is suggesting something more advanced than simple
kangaroo style pedals, allowing smooth power application throughout
wheel rotation. This also does eliminate wheel wobble and would be far
more practical to ride than a simple kangaroo unicycle!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs