Old July 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Dan Daniel

Default Couple questions about bike tires

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:52:32 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:

Another question I have is this: The place where I bought my used Miyata
said they could convert it to a 700cc bike to use the now common tire. I
assume that there's a whole lot more available in the 700 size, right?

Many more options in the 700 size. Including various
reinforcement/puncture-resistant systems that will reduce the need for
tire liners. If you are getting into longer and harder rides, this is
worth considering.

I've been finding it hard to find anything in a 27 x 1.25. I bought a
couple at Orchard Supply yesterday, made in China I guess. They are
nothing special but at least the rubber seems fresh and vibrant.

Missing Link doesn't carry anything in this size? It might not matter
in a low-demand size like 27 inch, but all in all a bike shop will
have more 'turnover' of tires. Tires age- ozone, heat, chemicals,
ultraviolet light, etc.

Additional note: I use urethane tire liners (oversized), which I glue
into the tires with contact cement. I've been doing that for a number of
years and they seem to have reduced my flats by a factor of at least 3.

I wonder what tire liners do to handling on a speedy downhill. You
could be losing some flexibility with liners that is helpful on
downhills? I don't know....

Thanks for your help, suggestions, etc.

Dan

If you can swing the conversion to 700, do it. Many of the older
Miyata frames are very nice rides, and having more options in tire
quality is worth it.