Old August 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Child

Default Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Traditionally, jewish religious education was all about ARGUING VERBALLY
about the torah. Its as simple as that. Its not about writing. Its

about
verbal debate.

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works.

Actually, i think its that you just aren't getting it.

You are arguing verbally with one another about the written word as it
exists in your sacred texts. Without the written word, none of you would
have anything to say to one another and, in fact, the Jews as a people
would not even exist. It is your sacred texts that have ensured the

survival
of the Jews down though history. You tell me why you think you are still
here as a people and the Philistines are not? Without the written word and
the importance that the Jews have given it they would not have survived

down
through the ages. You would have gone the way of the Philistines.

Yes, Jews argue about how to interpret the Torah. But its the ability to
form that verbal argument thats revered - its what was considered education
traditionally.

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

Every time you peck at your keyboard to send a message, you are writing. I
am SEEING what you say, not HEARING what you say. In that lies all the
difference.

There are many professional writers who have conversational, informal
styles, yet they still write. How could that possibly be, Eddie?

Actually, I think its you who is defying convention. Most usenet

denizens
recognize this as a casual discussion, not a literary society.

Writing is writing, speaking is speaking. They are two different things.
Most on Usenet should not be here in the first place because they do not
know how to write. But you do and so I hold you culpable.

I thought you said I didn't know how to write, eddie?

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

I send these messages of mine to my brother and sister for their amusement
and education. Maybe you should do likewise. You might be shocked at what
your parents and your brother think of how you are conducting yourself

here.

My mother, brother and I converse via email frequently. Its informal, full
of half sentences. No need to type full ones.

Any standards I appeal to are not my standards but the standards that have
prevailed for hundreds of years among all those with a minimum of

education.
I cannot believe that a person of Jewish heritage would purposely run the
written word into the ground when the Jews are preeminently the people of
the Book.

You know as much about jews as you do about women, Eddie.