Old May 6th 05, 02:31 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:00:22 -0700, Jim wrote:

Greetings,

I've been riding mountain bikes and would like to try road bikes for
commuting. Road bikes (mostly the narrow rims and the few spokes on
some models) look flimsy to me -- is my impression right?

Flimsy for bouncing around on trails, maybe, but not on roads.

Some bikes
(with the maountain bike-style brakes) can accomodate wider tires --
does it mean the rims are wider and more
tolerant of abuse? I try to minimize the maintenance.

Commuter bikes tend to get a lot of abuse, but most of it is unrelated to
tire width. Mostly it's weather-related, plus the odd pothole or car.

I intend to ride in a more up-right position than those racers. Would I
look dorky when I meantion this to the salesperson doing the fitting?

Mention it. If he/she reacts like you're a dork, head for the door. Find
another shop.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein