Old July 10th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 9:05*am, Bret Wade wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).

Agreed. They're all way too young to be retro-grouches.

Remember when Mercury/Viatel hired all those
Europros and made a big push (just before imploding)?
Their bike sponsor was Lemond and they had
steel bikes, I think this was before Lemond Bikes
got into the aluminum and Dr. Moreau-half-and-half
frames. Anyway, as Mercury began to implode,
I remember an interview in which one of the Eurodogs
was bitching about the backwardness of having to
ride steel frames, as if it was a short step from that
to having to sling your own tubulars over your
shoulder.

Ben
I like steel fine, but I'm not a Europro