Old January 12th 15, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

Default AG: The bread-bag trick

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:26:25 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

A thin plastic sheet over one's shoe makes one's foot strikingly
warmer. Just slide the foot into a bread bag, then pull a wool gaiter
on to hold the bag in place.

Of course, one does need a fresh bag for the trip back -- or maybe in
the middle, if you put your foot down a lot. Nobody eats that much
bread, but I've found that the orange bags that my newspaper comes in
work perfectly, and a summer's worth lasts all winter. In a pinch,
one can buy a box of gallon-size twist-tie bags. For wide bags, one
needs the sort of gaiter that comes down over the foot.

Why not put the bag on over the sock and then foot, sock and bag, into
the shoe?
I've done something similar in heavy rain and it worked for an hour or
so till I got home.

When we wore slot cleats, the cleat would snip a hole in the bag in
exactly the right place. I doubt that this would work with the
more-complicated cleats now in fashion, but I've no idea what to do
instead -- my pedals never wore out {replaceable bearings, you know},
so I still wear slot cleats. (In the summer. Winters, I wear walking
shoes.)

I've used bags to keep my socks dry when wearing sandals in snowy
weather. In this case, pull the bag over your heavy socks, then pull
knee-hose over the bags to keep them in place. The thinner and less
absorbent the hose, the better, so buy the very cheapest. They do
come in black.

Ah, I didn't read this before I posted the above :-)
But why sandals in the snow?

--
Cheers,

John B.