Old January 24th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:44:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:31:23 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

Allthough you will call this anecdotal, I have not had to dodge out of
the way of motorist driving on the pavement for as long as I can remember.
But I often have to dodge a pavement cyclist & just before Christmas my
daughter was knocked over by a pavement cyclist.

And as the figures show, you are many times more likely to be killed
or injured on the footway by a motor vehicle than by a cyclist. So
yes, your anecdote indicates another outlier. Or perhaps people are
so obsessed by pavement cycling that they go out of their way to
remember it.

At the public policy level it is ignorable.

Guy

Any chance of an answer to these question - Guy?

How often do you see vehicles being driven along pavements where there
is a danger of them hitting a pedestrian?

How often do you see bikes riding along pavements where there is a
danger of hitting a pedestrian?

Do you think for the average pedestrian walking on a footpath - they
are more likely to be hit by a bike than by a vehicle?

Your problem is that you will only present or acknowledge "facts"
which back up your assertions.

You know very well that cyclists ride on pavements intentionally and
sometimes hit pedestrians. The figures which the DfT use for motor
vehicles hitting/killing pedestrians include those where a driver
loses control and then hits someone on the pavement *and* the verge.

You are not comparing like with like.

You will not acknowledge this case - and you insist that you are more
likely to be hit by a car on the pavement than by a bike.

Of course if I have misunderstood your position, and you would answer
the questions above then I am more than happy to accept that I am
wrong in what I have said about you.

As it is - you continue to come over as someone who is very
deceitful.

judith

--

Cyclists have been known to ride on the pavement and this occasionally
brings them into conflict with pedestrians. This conflict has been