Old June 25th 03, 08:58 PM
David

Default Fork question for Specialized expedition sport

"Alan McClure" wrote in message om...
Also, how badly would the
geometry be "messed up" with an 80-100mm fork, and in what way? I
really don't know much about the geometry of my bike let alone bikes
in general, so I can only learn, but since the LBS said that a
80-100mm fork would bring the front of my bike up too high probably I
wanted to see what you guys/gals say.

It might bother you. Measure your head angle, and the axle to crown distance.
Measure the axle to crown distance of the fork you are thinking about buying.
If you can calculate the new angle, great. If not, you can elevate the front wheel
enough to account for the longer fork, and measure the head angle again.

If you don't have the angle checker, your LBS probably does. If you don't measure
this stuff, and simply take other people's word for it, you may not be pleased with the
results.

Most people seem to like 71 degrees for their XC bike's head angle. You can go as
slack as 68.5 degrees and have it work pretty well in most circumstances, but you might
find giving up 1 degree to be annoying.

David.