Old March 15th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More About Lights

On 3/15/2017 10:53 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

:I remember burning out bulbs with my bottle dynamo if I rode really
:fast. I also remember the slipping problems when the wheels were wet even
:when I used the rubber boot sold to go on the bottle dynamo roller. Hub
:dynamos today really seem to fall down at slow speeds.

Mine work fine from walking speeds. They produce more light at higher
speeds, but at slow speeds you don't need it, because you're not
moving fast.

That's my experience too. The last time I recall not having enough
light at low speeds was in a dark campground with a pre-halogen dynamo
light with lousy optics. That was about 1980, IIRC. With the modern
LED dynamo lights, it's never even come close to happening, even at
walking speed.

--
- Frank Krygowski