Old July 10th 04, 07:32 AM
bizjetpilot

Default First century + 75 miles the day before?

Hi:

I just finished the Aids Lifecycle ride from San Francisco to Los
Angeles. We had basically two centuries on the ride. I had never ridden
more than 60 miles and never more than three times a week. This was 7
days and about 7 to 11 hours of riding each day. I finished it all and
never got sagged or had a big med event on the ride. The reason I was
able to do it was basically four real key basics that I always stuck to
and here they a

1. I always ate carbs and drank both water and gatorade (electrolyes).
The drinks were 1/2 and 1/2. If you have too much electrolyte you
will od on the stuff and have to stop riding. Way to little and
you'll fade.
2. I always paced my ride to 80 percent of my training ride speed. So
even if I felt great I held back thinking that if I still felt great
in the last few hours then I could always go for it then. Going for
it too early taps you out without any way to recover.
3. I was spinning all the way unless the hill was too big. Always 80
rpm or 90.
4. I never pushed a hill. I just accepted that it would take me however
long it took but I would not cruch the pedals and force my way up. I
avoided a lot of injuries this way. At sports med at the end of each
day there were plenty of people who passed me "on your left" and
were being stretched and taped or pulled off the ride. It was my
turn to say "on your left" as I walked past them to my tent injury
free but slower.

So bascially if it's not a race then pace yourself for a comfortable
speed and factor in hills. Be sure to drink lots and eat lots.

Thats it....

Mike Shiflett