Old April 29th 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Belt drive

On 29/4/19 6:12 am, jbeattie wrote:

I've broken four or five Campy NR cranks, two or three Shimano
Ultegra cranks, an Ofmega track crank, an old Stronglight 93. I had
two CF cranks with pedal eyes that cracked and separated from the CF
layup (SRAM Red and FSA). I bent first generation Dura Ace/Look
pedal spindle, snapped a Ti ER platform pedal spindle, snapped a
spindle on a Look pedal. I broke chains, but usually because I had
been sloppy reinstalling a pin or because a shift side-loaded a quick
link. Conventional drive trains can and do break. I've scootered home
or to the nearest bike shop or hitch-hiked (broken
too-light-for-touring 5sp chain in the middle of nowhere Washington)
too many times. BTW, none of those failures landed me on the road,
even though all of the crank failures were during out of the saddle
efforts.

I think you should try to write that as a song, like the 12 days of
Christmas.

I haven't broken that many bits. Handlebars, BB axle, a couple of
pedals and a fork steerer - but in recent years I've seen a few broken
chains happen and zero broken cranks. Whether it is a symptom of narrow
chains and special joining pins and such, I can't say, but chains seem
to be a bit vulnerable. I managed to break a budget quick link, but
that has been the only chain problem for me. Using Connex quick links
have been fine.

--
JS