Old April 29th 19, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Belt drive

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 9:12:38 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

I've been on two rides where bicycle chains broke. One was mine. Hit a small bump/curb on the trail when crossing a street and the chain jumped off its cogs/pulleys/rings and got lodged somehow and it broke when I started pedaling again. Used the chain tool to remove the broken link and put in one of the quick links to reconnect everything. Other time was on a group ride and one of the riders broke his chain. I used my chain tool to remove the broken link and gave him my quick link to put everything back together. Took a few minutes on the side of the road to get everything working again.. But it was all resolved successfully. So people who think chains don't break on rides are living in some make believe fantasy land.

As for cranks a friend of mine had an expensive Campagnolo crank break
and it was clearly a manufacturing defect but they refused to even do a
warranty exchange. He landed towards the middle of the road but luckily
no cars came along.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/