Old August 12th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Default helmets and rotational acceleration

Peter Clinch wrote:

Ian Smith wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug, Tom Crispin wrote:
On 11 Aug 2008 12:41:47 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:

Can someone confirm my interpretation of this:
========
From these tests, any additional danger of rotational head injury from
wearing a helmet is slight or negligible.
========

I would say you shouldn't conclude anything from the abstracts of two
technical papers. Which is why I'd be keen to hear the views of
anyone that does have access to the content. If it was someone I
trust to be able to read straight, it might even influence my opinion.

I would concur with Ian's analysis.

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume your take is a fair one.
The possibility of rotational injury aggravation by helmets has
primarily been a conjectured mechanism for how they might make things
worse. Even if you demonstrate that as a non-issue, it will not affect
in any way, shape or form the whole population studies that demonstrate
no clear advantage in terms of serious injuries to wearing a cycle helmet.

Pete.

helmets don't seem to attaully do much, niether harm or protect. though
in my experance getting sweaty is something they do rather well.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com