Old August 9th 03, 11:41 AM
Harris

Default Disappointing (was Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?)

"Jon Noring" wrote:
it surprises me that no
recent article in a bicycle magazine (or Consumer Reports as a matter
of fact) has appeared doing an *exhaustive* comparison of floor-type
bicycle pumps.

Have you seen Bicycling Magazine lately? I wouldn't make any purchases based
on their reviews. Consumer Reports tries to do a good job, but they tend to
put emphasis on the wrong things.

Here's are some of the things the comparison would assess:

1) Number of pumps and the force needed to fill up a lower pressure
tire (e.g., mountain bike, automobile), and number of pumps and
overall effort to fill a tire up to very high pressure.

I think too much emphasis is placed on this. For me, 99% of pump use is
topping off pressure on my road bikes. It really doesn't matter if it takes
three or five strokes. The work is the same in either case.

2) Overall assessment of durability and reliability (e.g., does it use
cheap, flimsy plastic parts, or high quality parts?)

3) Assessment of ergonomics.

4) Quality, accuracy and precision of built-in pressure gauge.

5) Cost

6) Warranty, parts availability, and repairability.

The attachment to the valve seems to be an issue for a lot of people. For
road tires with presta valves, it's hard to beat Silca's big brass presta
chuck.

There are plenty of good comments here on rbt from folks who have used
various pumps for extended periods of time. I'd put more stock in those
comments than a magazine article. There are threads on pumps several times a
year. Try a google groups search.

Art Harris