Old June 9th 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Is Mike Vandeman finally dead?

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:21:44 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:
[...]

Hiking trails have from time immemorial been reserved for hikers and equestrians. It is still that way in Wilderness Areas and in most National Parks. Mountain biking on hiking trails is an incompatible use. Mountain bikers need their own trails entirely separated from hiking trails. Hiking trails do indeed belong to hikers!

And this is defined where? In what document?

Wilderness Areas specifically exclude any mode of travel other than by foot and horseback. It is why I want more and more areas to be given Wilderness status. The National Parks are not as solid on this issue as they should be. That is because many bureaucrats are gutless cowards and do not always stand up for what is right.

Or is this argument simply made up out of whole cloth in an attempt to

prove a point that is simply not true.

It is as true as thinking mountain bikers have some god given right to desecrate trails.

Of course, if the trails are on private property than it is quite a

different proposition and the owners of the property can, of course,
refer to the trails as "their's".

Only pure souls like Mr. Vandeman care enough about nature to want to exclude bikes from all off-road areas. Frankly, I don’t give a good god damn what private owners of property do with their land. Mountain bikers should seek out such owners in which to develop their own trails.

So, you feel competent to speak for all of those who use public

facilities. the arrogance is frightening. I'm reminded of the folks
who attempted to solve the Jewish problem.

I am as competent as anyone else, most particularly you.

Mountain bikers are not bothered much by hikers when using the trails, but hikers are bothered very much by bikers. That is what you fail to understand. Until you do, I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great