Old January 5th 06, 09:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default New Year pedolutionists

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

You are describing motorcycling before compulsory training

Then, it was traditional for experienced riders to stop and chat with
learners, and help them and give them tips. If you saw an L plate
then you felt it was your duty to encourage and help them.

Harder for cyclists of course - no L plates!

Compulsory training has changed a little of that I think, as it's
obviously no longer so needed.

I think the idea of the bike clubs doing more is a good one. But how?
If you build it will they come? Will people take time to go to some
place for help, or do the current experienced riders need to seek out
the inexperienced and work to be their friends?

Zebee

Yes, if you do build it, they will come.... and ask for more!! Brag
Alert: Warragul Cycling Club has several initiatives (one for which it
won a Vic Sport & Rec award in 05) to do just this, both for juniors
and adults. We will recommence and expand these activities in February
this year (Cycle Skills, recreational group, more social/training rides
etc), partly in response to the many requests we have received late last
year for more. (so stay tuned to the local rag, or contact the club if
you are interested in participating!)

So, absolutely, build it (and build it so that it is quality, and is
meeting the needs of the participants) and they WILL come.

--
warrwych