Old November 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Lobo Tommy wrote:

Can anyone give me a hand? I'm having a tough time trying to find a
ready made off the shelf bicycle that has all these features. Some
manufacturers come close but are not quite there yet.

Take a look at the Raleigh C40 or Trek 7300 but...

1) Ditch the suspension seatpost and front shock
2) Replace typical crappy stock saddle with a Brooks springer
3) Exchange the Aluminum frame/fork for a Steel frame/fork
4) Make it super easy to add fenders and rear rack
5) 700c wheels, but super durable, preferably 36 spoke
6) No lights / electrical stuff on it
7) Nice soft pedals for a variety of foot wear
8) Solid Shimano Tiagra drive train

Anything close?

rivbike.com. The Romulus would be good if you can still find one, but
they appear to be discontinued. And it won't be cheap, since such a bike
is no longer mainstream, it's a specialty item.

Also check out the Fuji Touring, this is probably the best option for
you, just change the saddle.

I have to laugh at your statement "Some manufacturers come close but are
not quite there yet." The fact is that many manufacturers were
there--and left.

It’s too expensive to make a chromolloy frame bike any more, at least
for the mass market. Aluminum is much cheaper, and even though it isn't
the optimal frame material, it's good enough.