Old November 9th 07, 08:43 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

Well that is what I would have thought as well, however, I got hit doing
exactly what Steven says to do. Since I was on a trike and the driver behind
me was speeding up (we had just come through a green light), I was hurt
badly enough to basically put and end to my cycling.

If you don't live somewhere that has accomodated cyclists in a significant
way (such as Tucson or Seattle or Copenhagen) then I would stay off the
roads completely. I know that "giving up" like this is not a popular opinion
but the cars don't respect us at all.

Jeff
"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
If you are riding in the lanes with motor vehicles in NYC it is just a
matter of time until you are hit. Ride in the street yes, but stay out of
the way of motor vehicles. In other words, get as far to the right as you
can, even if it means you are right next to the curb. Elementary, my dear
Watson!

Have you tried riding a bike like this, or is this just some
theory that you cooked up from behind the windshield?

The method you describe will result in a large number of near
sideswipes (or worse). If there's not enough room in a given
lane for a car to safely pass, the cyclist is much safer taking
the lane; drivers can see you better and are more likely to pass
in the adjacent lane when it's safe to do so.

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY