Old May 2nd 04, 11:51 PM
Robert Haston

Default "Ticket" to give to harrasing drivers

"Trudi Marrapodi" wrote in message
In article t, "Robert
Haston" wrote:

After seriously getting into it with a driver who decided to yell at me

get on the sidewalk and reinforce his opinion with a close pass, I

figured
I thought of an alternative to shouting at each other. I would just

hand
them a notice:

Ah, if only they weren't driving something that can go faster than me...

He stopped for me after I said "THANKS A$$H0L#!" In the past, I have wound
up aside the perp at the next stop. I just thought it would be nice to have
something to offer. Or if they clam up and pretend I'm not there, I could
stick it under thier wiper.

Just to clarify, I said cyclists pose no real threat to others, not cyclists
pose no threat.

As to the popular myth that cyclists don't pay for roads: All local

roads
(along with police, fire rescue, runoff control, crossing guards, and

other
services) are paid for by property taxes. This combined with other
subsidies such as "free" parking, oil defense, and other subsidies are
several times greater than the few hundred dollars drivers pay in

gasoline
taxes and license fees.

I'm curious: what about other taxes? I don't own property myself. Then
again, I do pay rent, which can be construed as helping my landlord
indirectly to pay his property tax.

How about: every road, parking lot, light, traffic cop, etc. on every
military, federal, state, and local government installation? Gas taxes
don't pay for those. How about several dozen billion a year in health
insurance covering auto accident injuries? How about pollution? How many
lost days due to pollution aggravated asthma or bronchitis, or all the
damage to structures, agriculture, and fisheries due to acid rain?