Old September 22nd 04, 02:23 PM
Frank Krygowski

Nate Nagel wrote:

There are *tons* of speed bumps that I could
scrape my old car on at 0.00001 MPH simply because the exhaust hung
lower than the top of the speed bump. (VW Scirocco - lowered maybe 1".
NOT "slammed.") Let's not mention how it feels to go over a speed bump
on a bicycle!

People who install speed bumps, and/or lobby for the installation of
speed bumps, are quite simply rude and inconsiderate, despite their
protests of inconsiderate behavior on the part of others. Not everyone
drives a land barge SUV.

nate

Nate, please google "speed hump" to see what we're actually talking
about. You're talking about something else.

The vocabulary is well accepted by people who know this subject. Speed
BUMPS are short in the direction of travel (8" to perhaps 30"), feature
steep slopes (as much as 45 degrees) and can't be driven over at much
above a walking speed.

Speed HUMPS are as long as 14 feet in the direction of travel, feature
smooth slopes, and can be driven comfortably at speeds like 25 mph,
depending on their design. They cause discomfort at higher speeds. The
idea is to keep speeds down to the speed limit in residential areas or
pedestrian areas - not to keep speeds down to 0.00001 mph.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot