Old February 20th 21, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 545: Tesco driver nearly wipes out cyclist

On 20/02/2021 07:03 pm, wrote:
Today's close pass footage shows an impatient Tesco driver trying to overtake a rider as they approach a set of traffic lights at the foot of a hill.

The video, captured by Gary, from Dorset, shows him descending in wet conditions.

As he gets close to the traffic lights a Tesco van goes around him before moving back into the left hand lane nearly wiping him out in the process.

Gary, who works at Poole Hospital, was travelling along the B3073 near Wimborne Minster on his way home.

He said: "I didn't want to go and speak to the driver [after], but I knew I had to.

"I approached him very calmly, and tried to get him to see it from my point of view, even informing him I drive vehicles larger than his almost daily.

"My advice to him was simply, wait behind, you can't push people into the kerb just to get to the red light.

"I did that rather than just going on my way because I don't think he had any clue what he was doing was wrong.

"He said to me he was trying to ''get round me before the light, and I had to brake as well'.

"That tells me he thinks he was doing the right thing by overtaking and I should have braked to let him back in.

That [braking to let him in], of course, is *exactly* what he should
have done. it's all in the Highway Code:

QUOTE:
Rule 168
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
steady course and speed, *slowing* *down* if necessary to let the
vehicle pass. *Never* *obstruct* drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up
or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous.
*Drop* *back* to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and
pulls into the gap in front of you.
ENDQUOTE

How much clearer could that be?

But it still seems that some road-users think it doesn't apply to them.

"The idea that perhaps not overtaking, just to sit at a red traffic light, didn't seem to have entered his mind."

https://road.cc/content/news/tesco-d...s-rider-281075

I wonder why compliance with HC Rule 168 never entered the mind of the
complainant?