Old February 21st 21, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 545: Tesco driver nearly wipes out cyclist

On 21/02/2021 16:17, JNugent wrote:
On 21/02/2021 11:57 am, wrote:
On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 7:03:51 PM UTC,
wrote:
Today's close pass footage shows an impatient Tesco driver trying to
overtake a rider as they approach a set of traffic lights at the foot
of a hill.

The video, captured by Gary, from Dorset, shows him descending in wet
conditions.

The victim, Gary, comments on the dangerous pass he
QUOTE:
I'll say my piece here now.

I really really do not want the driver of that van to get into any
form of trouble. I don't want him to lose his job, or be forced into
another role.

I simply wanted him to be shown the video, so he could gain a better
understanding of what he did wrong.

If it's on tescos fb page, well i presume he will see it. It would be
beneficial if they called him, just to show him the clip, then in
future, perhaps he will wait behind until a more appropriate time.

We can't just have people driving around but not having enough
knowledge of cycling and putting innocent people in danger. What if
that had been a kid on their way home from school and they had assumed
the van driver was turning right? They may have kept their straight on
path and been knocked clean off their bike sideways. I only avoided it
because I've got experience with MGIF'S.

Why dont we have a cycling and horse section on the driving test?

Question... does a cyclist have to use a shared path and why might
they not be using it?

Is there actually a point to overtaking the bicycle, or will you be re
overtaken seconds later?

The more people that cycle, the more this is going to happen. We need
to get people educated on how to act around cyclists and learn what
they've done wrong, in a calm and civil manner. Not go round shouting
at eachother and having road rage. That helps nobody.

Or you know, we could just take part of the road away on every major
link road and town and city in the land, give it protection from motor
traffic and priority over all motor traffic? Then drivers wouldnt even
have to contemplate an overtake, theyd be in their own lane, and we'd
be in ours.

Or we could make it mandatory for people taking their driving test to
watch videos like this?Cyclists!!! -
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSROjN1qSCIÂ* (link is external)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* saying that, when i went for my driving test, one of the staff
there was having a discussion with a test taker, as i put my stuff in
the locker. He said'' oh yes i got stuck behind a cyclist on castle
lane, he wasnt using the cycle lane''.

Angered, i said to him'' actually theres a very good reason for that-
that isnt a cycle lane, its a pavement where you have to stop at every
junction, its too bumpy and its got pedestrians walking all over it,
its not a cycle lane, its a shared path for slow riders.''

Worrying too, even in a test centre these mis conceptions float....

Â*Â*Â*Â* reply quote

Bungle_52 replied to Gary's bike channel | 164 posts | 3 hours ago
3 likes

I agree with everything you say but I still think nothing would
concentrate the mind better than a letter from the police or an offer
of a driver awareness course with the alternative being a prosecution.
That's why I wouldn't have stopped, I'd have just submitted the footage.

The only other suggestion I have is that cycling should form part of,
or be a prerequistite to, the driving test. When I was a kid every one
cycled so this was effectively the case. Now most parents think it's
too dangerous for their children to cycle. I know many people who
cycled during the first lockdown but now won't and for the first time
I saw a bike on ebay with the reason for sale given as "too frightened
to cycle on the road". If we are going to get more people cycling we
need actions not words.
ENDS
(APPLAUSE) - AWARENESS COURSE REQUIRED.

https://road.cc/content/news/tesco-d...s-rider-281075

Way to go with that message filter of yours.

Have you copyrighted it yet?

It could be an earner, after all. Perhaps you could add to your pension
pot.

GIVE IT A REST!